Mama w her babies

Mama w her babies

Friday, November 12, 2010

Pomegranates

It's pomegranate season & yep, I love pomegranates.  I remember tasting my 1st one. One of the older neighbor kids that lived behind us was baby sitting us and brought one for us to try.  I was hooked.  Over the years my mom would buy my sisters one for a special treat.  Growing up in Colorado & not having a lot of money it wasn't often.  Now, I eat them as often as I can. 

Since ancient times, pomegranates are a symbol of fertility & the Goddess of Love, Venus liked to give them as gifts to all of her favorites.  Pomegranates are very high in antioxidants such as vita. C & very high in fiber.  So they are a very healthy snack.

A pomegranate can be intimidating but they are really easy to get into.  And yes you can eat the whole little seed.  But be careful because the juice will stain.  Just cut the fruit in half and carefully remove the seeds.  I tend to take the slow hard way of starting at the top & carefully peel it. but I don't loose any of the yummy little rubies of yummy flavor.



Pomegranate & Walnut Salad


1 hd............... Chopped Lettuce
½ c................. Pomegranate 
½ c................. Walnuts
½ c................. Sliced Red Onion
½ c................. Blue Cheese Crumbles
2 ozs.............. Dressing

Dressing

1 c...................Oil
½ c..................White Vinegar
2 Tbs...............Sugar
¼ tsp...............Salt

1.      Mix dressing and refrigerate until needed.
2.      Place lettuce in a bowl.
3.      Arrange ingredients over lettuce.
4.      Ladle dressing over the top.

1 comment:

  1. I had my first-ever pomegranate in Greece! I was sort of hoping that eating the seeds would keep me there; I mean, it worked for Persephone while she was in Hades, right? But, alas, such was not the case and the plane brought me back home. Still...it was a fun and memorable experience.

    ReplyDelete