Mama w her babies

Mama w her babies

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Tropical Granola

My Nephew Ry surfing on Christmas day


I have a sister that lives in Hawaii that we will visit from time to time. The last trip was over Christmas. We get there in the early evening so we had to hit one of my favorite restaurants called The King & I for some Thai food. Sadly it is now closed. Of course while at dinner my sister informs my husband that he is making Paella, which I will save for another post. She likes to do this to us from time to time so there are a few things that I make her stock her shelves with. One such item is Anahola Granola. She got me stuck on it and it is the Bomb!!! Well I don't get to visit very often so I had to come up with my own recipe so here it is. 

8 c.................. Old Fashioned Thick Rolled Oats
0.75 lb............. Mixed Tropical Dried Fruit 
½ c................. Crystallized Ginger
1 c.................. Raw Coconut
1 c.................. Raw Macadamia Nuts
¼ c................. Flax Seeds
1 c.................. Raw Sunflower Seeds
½ c................. Corn Oil
½ c................. Honey
1 Tbs.............. Vanilla

1.    Pre heat oven to 300ºF.
2.    Mix oats, nuts and seeds
3.    Add oil and vanilla and mix well.
4.    Drizzle honey in parts while mixing.
5.    Place on 2 sheet pans lined with foil and place in oven for 10 minutes.
6.    Remove from oven and stir.
7.    Place back in oven for 6 minutes then remove and stir again.
8.    Repeat until golden brown.  About 30 minutes.
9.    Dice fruit into ¼” pieces and add to the hot granola mix.
10. Dice ginger into 1/8” pieces before measuring and add to oat mixture along.



I found all of the ingredients at the local health food store.  If you don’t like one of the fruits in the tropical fruit medley then you can get each of the ingredients by them selves so you can leave one out or replace it with something else.  You can also replace or delete any of the seeds or nuts. If you want a maple flavor, you can cut back on the honey by adding ¼ c brown sugar with ¼ c honey to give it a maple flavor. With this version I like to add some dried cranberries and blueberries. 

Granola is a great way to get lots of fiber and protein which will give you lots of energy for the day a head.   Oatmeal is, also,  good for lowering your cholesterol. 

Be creative, have fun and enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment