Mama w her babies

Mama w her babies

Friday, May 4, 2012

Happy Cinco de Mayo


There are very few salsas out on the market that don’t have starches to thicken or vinegar to increase the acidity for a really long shelf life so I like to make my own. I can also control the heat and freshness. If you like a hotter salsa add jalapeños or habaneros in place of the green chilies, habanero chilies being one of the hottest. You can also increase the amount of Tabasco. I like to roast my own chilies because there is more flavor and the texture is better but you can always use canned.


6 ea............... Tomatoes
1 ea............... Red Onion
3 ea............... Green Chilies
1 Tbs............. Powdered Garlic
1 Tbs............. Powdered Onion
¼ tsp............. Tabasco
to taste.......... Kosher Salt
2 Tbs............. Fresh Chopped Cilantro

1.    Roast and dice the green chilies.
2.    Place 4 of the tomatoes and ½ of the onion in the blinder or food processor and puree.
3.    Dice the remaining tomatoes and onion.
4.    Pour into a saucepan with the diced tomato and onion, the garlic and onion powder and the diced green chilies.
5.    Bring to a boil then turn the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes stirring often.
6.    Remove from heat and add the Tabasco, salt and cilantro.
7.    Chill and serve.

To roast your chilies you can do it in the oven, out on your grill or if you have a gas stove you can do it on that which is how I do mine. Turn your burner on hi and stick your chili right in the fire. Move it around so the whole thing will get charred. Then stick it into a plastic bag to let it steam a bit. The skins should come right off. I don't like to use the oven because it is too easy to over cook the flesh so you need to have the oven at about 500F. The grill is great for doing large amounts but is more of a hassle if just doing one or two. I like to buy my chilies as I need them. 

Be creative, have fun and enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment